Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Post-It Note Prayers

Some of the "Post-It Prayers" from Tween Campers

Last week at Tween Camp, we had 240 middle schoolers in attendance - an all-time record. During one class taught early in the week by Associate Director Joseph Thouvenel, campers were encouraged to write a prayer to the Lord on a post-it note and place it on a window.

After class, I wandered over to the windows to peruse the prayers. I was amazed by the depth of the content displayed in the prayers. A few made me laugh, like the one which said "Please help camp to be more fun than it is now." Others made me hurt for these dear young people. Several caught my attention:
  • Help my mom get well so she isn't in pain anymore.
  • I've been confused about my life. My friends have been telling me to do the opposite of what my heart is. I just really need guidance.
  • Heal my heart.
  • Dear God, Please be with me and my friends back home so that we can see each other and begin talking again. Amen
  • To stop making the same mistakes.
  • I pray I survive this week.
  • For me to listen to God more.
  • Please help me become more confident in myself. And help me not let my fears of not being wanted hold me back.
  • Dear God, Can you help my mom not get thrown out of the house that she is in?
  • This week I pray that God will reveal that I am unique in my own special way and I don't have to be like everybody else.
  • Help me get more friends!
  • I hope my parents do not get divorced.
  • Dear God, please help me become the person you want me to be.
  • God, please help my attitude towards my family.
  • To have clear/clean skin.
  • Help me to really enjoy reading my Bible.
  • I would like to be strong enough to overcome my homesickness.
Perhaps as you read this, a few of these prayer requests capture your heart. If so, maybe you can take a moment and say a prayer to the Lord for the person who wrote that prayer. Thanks!