Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Message of the Meetinghouse

Overhead view of Meetinghouse under construction in 1928


This morning after breakfast, I pored through a stack of old Twin Rocks photos recently donated by a friend of the camp. The images dated back to the 1920s, and showcased the tremendous physical changes enjoyed by the camp throughout its 93 year history. One photo in particular caught my attention - it was of the Meetinghouse under construction in 1928.

My interest in the photos distracted me from my day's agenda, so I was late arriving to a Girls Camp chapel session in the Meetinghouse. As I settled into a seat at the back of the Meetinghouse, the old photos were fresh in my memory.

Soon the girls were singing these words:
I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began my life was in His hands

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls and hears me when I call

A bit later, camp speaker Elizabeth Sherwood shared from John 10:10, where Jesus says: I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Girls Camp 2011 in Meetinghouse

I couldn't help but think about the thousands of campers who have been in the Meetinghouse over the past 83 years, and the consistent message which has been proclaimed within its walls.

Those who raised the trusses for the Meetinghouse in 1928 certainly wouldn't have imagined the Powerpoint slideshows, video projectors, or wireless microphones which would one day grace the building. But they certainly would have resonated with the message - that we have a Maker who knows our name and desires that we, through Him, might live our lives to their fullest.

What a joy it is to see the continued proclamation of Jesus here at Twin Rocks Friends Camp.

Girls Camp 2011