Monday, August 1, 2011

Servant Leaders

SLP Staff Members 2011

What a joy it was yesterday to hear members of our Servant Leadership Program (SLP) summarize the past five weeks to their parents. The SLP is made up of 10 high school students who serve Twin Rocks in a wide variety of ways: as junior counselors to elementary age kids, as behind-the-scenes workers in the dish room and elsewhere, and as "campers" learning to grow deeper in their faith with Jesus Christ.

Here are a few words I heard yesterday at the conclusion of the 5-week program:
  • About Counseling at Girls Camp:
    "We gave several girls a Bible of their own and got to show them how to use it. We spent cabin times showing the girls how to find things in the Bible."

  • About Counseling at Boys Camp:
    "God didn't need me, but he showed me that he was happy to use me in the kids' lives."

  • About the SLP community:
    "I had no idea how much of a family we would become."
    "Even when we were working through something difficult we found joy and saw God in it."
    "I really got to know people on a deep level."
    "I didn't expect to be so attached to these people."

  • About Relationship with God:
    "Most rewarding? Being able to look back and see how much I've grown in my relationship with God and as a person."
    "It was an atmosphere where I was really encouraged to grow in my relationship with God."
In follow-up to these comments, a couple of parents stood and shared:
  • "I'm blown away by how much he's grown in five weeks!"
  • "I can't thank you enough."

I'm deeply impressed by these 10 young people - by their maturity, by their willingness to serve campers and one another, and by their strong commitment to following Jesus Christ. And I'm grateful for Interns Scott Bay and Emily Smith who spent hundreds of hours preparing for and implementing the SLP program.