Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Amazing Front Three Rows in Church


The influence of Twin Rocks Friends Camp runs deep in the lives of so many people. This realization hit home for me last Sunday as I sat in the fourth row of our small, rural church. I became distracted from worship when I began observing the people in the three rows in front of me. As I glanced around, it dawned on me that Twin Rocks Friends Camp has had a tremendous influence upon this small sample of people. In those three rows sat:
  •  Nine children and youth (ages 5-14) who combined for an amazing 68 camp or retreat experiences at Twin Rocks (you'll be pleased to know that I did my detailed calculating after church). Two of the kids had been to Family Camp every year since birth; several had attended multiple weeks of Day Camp; and between them they had also attended Girls Camp, Boys Camp, Tween Camp, Surfside Camp, Samuel School, and Junior High Jamboree.
  • Among the adults, three had attended Twin Rocks camps as kids; two had been to a men’s retreat; one had been to Sabbath by the Sea; and two of the couples had attended Couples Conference multiple times, including one who had previously told me: “Couples Conference saved our marriage!” 
  • Some amazing grandparents are raising two of the kids. One of those kids has been to Twin Rocks camps six times, the other 10! 
  • One of the youth is the only person in his family to attend church. He’s attended four Twin Rocks camps.
What a blessing it is for Twin Rocks to come alongside parents and grandparents to provide Christ-centered teaching to their kids and grandkids. What a joy it is to see how the camp’s ministry impacts a church such as mine.

As I contemplated Twin Rocks’ integral part in the success of my own church, I realized that a similar scene plays out every Sunday in numerous churches in Oregon and southwest Washington – where dozens of people point to Twin Rocks as a place where marriages have been strengthened, family bonds have been forged, and kids have come to Christ.

It’s fun to work at Twin Rocks.