Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Terrific 24 Hours at Camp

A lot is happening right now at Twin Rocks Friends Camp. In the past 24 hours...
  • I took a stroll with my wife, LeAnn, along the 1/2-mile length of our new "parkway" road which is being constructed around the perimeter of camp. It was a beautiful evening here at the Coast, and the walk was wonderful. It was great to be with LeAnn, and amazing to see the majestic path of the parkway coming fully into view. At this point the road is just a wide dirt path, but its presence amid the stately evergreen trees of the camp's coastal forest left me feeling at peace with the world and in awe of the beauty of God's creation.


  • I witnessed an invitation to our 228 middle school "Tween" campers given by camp speaker Rachelle Staley, encouraging them to commit their lives to Christ and be fully restored by their Creator. The invitation was straight-forward and low-key, and about 30 youth stayed behind to make this commitment to follow Jesus.



  • I walked through camp and watched our camp counselors spending time one-on-one with campers. At Twin Rocks, "one-on-one" time is integral to our philosophy. We believe that each camper deserves a time each week where he or she can have the undivided attention of their counselor, a time when they can share with and be prayed for by their counselor. Sometimes this takes the form of a sit-down conversation on the lawn; other times it means talking together amidst a game of miniature golf or Frisbee. I enjoy wandering through camp and whispering prayers to the Lord for the various one-on-one conversations I see taking place in front of me.


This is exactly why I love working at Twin Rocks Friends Camp. I get the chance to see kids being cared for, to witness them having their lives restored by our amazing, loving God. I have the opportunity to take walks and hang out with my family, and to experience the joy of helping plan new camp buildings and roads with the goal of impacting future generations of campers for Jesus.

This Twin Rocks - it's a special place.